BACKGROUND

Friday, June 17, 2011

Standing on their shoulders

To my parents who are the most supportive, amazing people I know:

I am the first person in my family to go to college. When I told my parents I wanted to go, they said "That's great, how can we help you?" My mother typed my scholarship applications on a real typewriter. This was in 1994 before applications could be submitted online. My father sent me spending money every semester and sweatshirts from all over the country. He was a long-haul truck driver at the time. I still have those sweatshirts and I love them! I always had German chocolate cake on my birthday and when the first birthday I had in college came around, I mentioned to my mother on the phone that I would miss the German chocolate cake. A few days later, an entire German chocolate cake arrived in overnight mail! 

In 2001 when I told my parents I wanted to go to law school, they said "That's great, how can we help you?" My mother brought me balloons and flowers when I got the score I needed on the LSAT. My father helped me move from Oregon to Texas and picked me up at the airport in Houston. He also gave me a TV and an air mattress as well as various other household items because he was moving out of his apartment in San Antonio and my furniture was late in arriving.

He helped me set up utilities, car insurance, and even paid for some of it so I would have an easy start in Houston. My Dad had to go back on the road shortly after I arrived and he called me every single day because he knew I didn't know anyone in Houston yet and he wanted to be sure I wasn't lonely. 


My parents helped me through three brutal years of law school, with all the heartbreaks and successes that entails. When I passed the bar exam, they were the first people I called and I can say they were as excited as I was! 

In 2007 when I told my parents I wanted to get my master's degree, they said "My God, are you ever going to get out of school?" :) Really, they once again said "That's great, how can we help you?" My dad paid for my degree and made sure I had enough money for incidentals like books and food. My mother offered never-ending support from Oregon. When I got discouraged and felt that I just couldn't do another paper or take another test, they were right there with me. Sometimes they walked behind me, pushing me forward and sometimes they walked beside me, helping me to keep going.

I have reached all of my dreams because my parents let me stand on their shoulders. 

To Mom and Dad - Thank you for everything!


1 comment:

Thank, Q said...

That's cool. Parents don't realize how much affect they have on their childrens' lives. I think it's wonderful that your parents drove you to greatness!