BACKGROUND

Friday, August 12, 2011

7 Days on the Island - Part I


My Dad and I have been in Cozumel, Mexico since Monday, Aug. 8th.  We had previously been here in May so Dad could go scuba diving. He is a certified diver and Cozumel has some of the best diving in the world so he wanted to check it out. I love Cozumel and have been several times before so he invited me to tag along in May and then again this week. This time, we opted for a longer stay. In May, we stayed for four days, this time we were here for seven. It has been such a wonderful trip and I wanted to chronicle it for my own memories and to share with y'all.

Monday: Flew from Houston to Cozumel. It's about a two-hour flight. We arrived in Cozumel and got settled at our hotel around 3p.m. We are staying at the El Cid, which is the same hotel we had the last time we were here. It's a nice place and I really enjoy it. Monday was a rest day, we went to the hotel restaurant and had an early dinner then I bought some water and ice cream at the hotel shop. It was an early bedtime, which was good for me because I was tired.

Tuesday: I slept in, while Dad went on his first dive of the trip. It was a navigation class for him to refresh some of what he learned in his scuba diving certification course and to prepare him for the advanced classes he was going to take on Wednesday and Thursday. I got up around noon and got ready for my Discover Scuba class. I had never been scuba diving and it was AMAZING! Dad went along with my group of five people and we had such a great time. It is incredible to me that humans have figured out how to breath underwater and see all the amazing life beneath the waves.

After the dive, Dad and I returned to our rooms, showered and changed, and headed once again to the hotel restaurant. It's great food down there! We had a nice leisurely dinner and chatted, then came back to the room to look up information on our next adventures, which were parasailing and horseback riding...not at the same time though. LOL! We chatted some more and then Dad returned to his room. I watched the boats on the water from my balcony and listened to the guitar player downstairs. It was all very, very relaxing.

Wednesday - Dad woke up early for his 100-foot dive. I slept in and then Dad returned and we headed to town for shopping and some Subway sandwiches. We decided to eat light today! The walk to Subway took about 45 minutes. We try to get in some exercise while we are on vacation, but that was a killer walk! It was very hot and we were both drenched in sweat by the time we got there.

After eating at Subway and taking a rest, we did a little shopping. I found the cutest bag, some t-shirts, postcards, and a hat for the scuba diving boat ride tomorrow. Dad and I returned to the hotel where I had a banana split for dessert. It was heavenly. We then decided on taking an ATV ride through the jungle on Friday and booked it instead of horseback riding since we rode horses the last time we were here. ATVing through the jungle sounds like a blast and I am looking forward to it!

STAY TUNED FOR PART II!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Holy cow, you were busy! I do love fajitas. The best I ever ate were in New Orleans at this tiny speak easy.