BACKGROUND

Saturday, August 13, 2011

7 Days on the Island - Part II

Continuing on with our Adventures in Cozumel:

Thursday - I actually got out of bed before 9 a.m. to have breakfast with Dad in preparation for our afternoon scuba trip. We then returned to our rooms where we both napped until around 11:30 and then I got ready for scuba diving. We headed down to the dock to get on the boat and met the people who would be accompanying us. They all seemed very nice. This was only my second time diving and it was quite an experience.

The dive master was really great and my Dad was on the dive of course so that helped too. We went down about 60 feet and I thought my head was going to explode with the pressure in my ears at some points. OUCH!! But then it equalized and everything was basically OK. Saw some great fish and wildlife in general, really neat stuff. Dad and the rest of the group did a second dive and I just hung around on the boat, reading, relaxing, and watching the water. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon. Dad and I then headed to Casa Denis where we had fajitas. It's our favorite place in Cozumel for fajitas. DELICIOUS!

We returned to the hotel and decided to book our final two excursions. We decided on an ATV ride through the jungle for Friday and parasailing on Saturday. We were both looking forward to these activities.

Friday: Dad and I had breakfast early and he did some paperwork for his advanced diving certification. I took a nap and we headed over to Margaritaville to meet the group doing the ATV rides. We took a taxi to the ATV place where I was introduced to Petra the Python who I put around my neck. She was quite friendly. There were also parrots, an eagle, and a lizard that we met before getting on the ATVs. 

Dad and I shared an ATV. We had decided prior to going that I would drive. Dad was a terrible backseat driver, but we had a lot of fun! The road we traveled down was full of dust, mud, and rocks, but it was quite a ride. We stopped at a cenote, which is a sacred Mayan sinkhole. We also saw some underground caves that the Mayans used when hurricanes would hit the island. It was very interesting.

After the ATV adventure, Dad and I headed into town where we collected two non-alcoholic margaritas at Margaritaville (they were free as part of the ATV tour package), did a little shopping and then went to Palmeras for dinner. I had steak and he had chicken. I love Palmeras and I try to eat there at least once when I am in Cozumel. Dad had never eaten there and he loved it too! We headed back to the hotel where I took a much needed shower and relaxed.

Saturday: We woke up and had an early breakfast and I took a nap before we headed down to the dock to wait for the parasailing crew. We had scheduled for 2 p.m. and by 2:30, we were a little concerned since the tour crews are almost never late. Finally, I went back to the room and called the company. They apologized and said the boat captain was on his way. The boat finally came at 3 p.m. and picked us up. We were with a group of six people. Two of them were a brother/sister duo who had been parasailing before. They went first and unfortunately, both of them got a bit of motion sickness. I felt badly for them because the boat captain would not take them back to their hotel dock. 

Finally, it was my turn to go and I must admit that I was scared. I have a huge fear of heights and I knew that I would be going up at least 100 feet so the prospect was frightening. But, I also think it's good for me to try and overcome my fear of heights so every few years I do something to spit in the face of the fear like parasailing or riding a roller coaster. 

They strapped me into the harness and away I went into the sky. IT WAS AMAZING!! I was not afraid at all, it was just a beautiful time in the sky, looking down at the water, feeling the breeze. My Dad went after I did and he really enjoyed it as well.

After parasailing, we made our way to Palmeras once again where we had a delicious dinner. We did a little shopping after that and then returned to the hotel. 

We leave tomorrow. I have had such an amazing time here in Cozumel as always and I cannot wait to return!

No comments: