BACKGROUND

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ruthless Donating


Lately, I have been on a purge and donate kick. I just cannot stand having so much stuff anymore. It's useless to me if it's sitting in a box buried in a closet or even if it's out in the open, but not being used. Thus, I decided that it was time to be ruthless and begin purging and donating.


I started with clothes. I am not a clothes horse, I never have been. I am a jeans and T-shirt girl. Still, I could not believe all the clothing I owned. It is totally ridiculous for one person to own that many night shirts, T-shirts, belts that I haven't worn in who knows how long, shoes that I will never wear, and so on. I filled a large Rubbermaid bin with clothes as well as a few other miscellaneous items, but mostly clothes. It felt SO good to get rid of the things that I am not ever going to use. 

That was last week. This week, I am working on my books. I am an avid reader and I always have been. I cannot remember a time when I didn't love books and didn't own several shelves full of them. But again, this is an area where it was time to be ruthless. I sorted through the books putting a few in the donation pile and selling some on Amazon.com or half.com. I listed others on paperbackswap.com or bookmooch.com. I've already gotten rid of several books using those sites. 

I still have some books to sort through and that will be a project for the morning. I will also begin sorting through some miscellaneous items I have that are small, but need to be pared down. I am loving the new, free feeling I am getting from all of this purging/donating.

2 comments:

secret agent woman said...

I've been working on this very thing this weekend - ow is it that you always end up wit absurd amounts of clothing?

Dauphyfan said...

It's not easy, but it's one of those rare times when the feeling of emptiness is actually a good thing. Walking into a cluttered home is much more anxiety-ridden than walking into a home that is adorned with minimalist touches. Well done malady!