BACKGROUND

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Casey Anthony, is that you?

OK so weird moment of the week. I babysit occasionally and being a professional, CPR and First-Aid trained adult, I'm the "responsible, won't let your kids drown/eat enough sweets to go into sugar coma/kill each other/wreck your house (too much)" type.

Well, I got a call today from a woman who found me on Sittercity some months ago and was contacting me to see if I could watch her 6 year old and 3 year old. Now, when someone contacts me from that site to babysit and I do not know them, I will generally meet the parents and the kids in their home to see if I'm a good fit for the family, give references, talk about cost and so on.

This woman wanted me to babysit her kids tonight at my home and possibly keep them overnight so she could go party with a friend of hers. She was desperate to find someone to watch them since she is getting into whatever club she's getting into for free tonight. I HAVE NEVER MET THIS WOMAN OR HER KIDS!! I wanted to ask her if her name was Casey Anthony.

Now, as I said above, I am the responsible type, but she doesn't know that. Again, SHE HAS NEVER MET ME NOR HAVE THE KIDS!! Is it me or is that just bizarre?? I would not leave my dog with someone I'd never met. I initially agreed to watch the kids because I was almost afraid of what she would do with them if she couldn't find someone to watch them, but then I had to renege because I realized two things - one, my home is not child friendly at the moment, and two - I am just not comfortable with having never met any of the principle players involved here.

I am amazed, simply amazed, that anyone would consider leaving their children with a complete stranger for whom no references have been given, let alone checked. CRAZY!

9 comments:

Thank, Q said...

Wow. That's nuts. The entire concept for finding an online babysitter is new to me, but this lady was way too desperate. I hope she didn't take her kids to the club with her. Then again, she may need a designated driver.

Emily said...

ohmygoodness. that is crazy. I'm with you on the baby-sitting where I always meet the children, parents, pets and see if the house is somewhere I feel comfortable. yikes. that's scary, and you have to feel really bad for those kids. oxo

Jill said...

uh yes...that is crazy!! I don't even like to leave my kid with my own mother, LOL!! hahaha!! I'm THAT protective... hey, thanks for your comment. sorry I've been out of the loop. I have a lot of catching up to do :) but if you are ever on facebook, you can look me up. I keep saying I'll delete it..but I never do...maybe one day I will. have you been on paperbackswap? I miss it!! I have to unvacation my account!!

www.facebook.com/jillianleigh.writes

Karen Peterson said...

I used to volunteer with a girls' youth group. It amazed me that these parents wouldn't even bother to meet us and would send their kids out of town with us for an entire weekend once a year. I worry about parents sometimes. Well, mostly I worry about the kids.

Kate said...

That is nuts. I'm still hyper protective, but you need to at least meet someone who's going to spend time with your kid! And it wasn't like she had a valid reason to be so desperate. If you can afford a babysitter you can afford to pay the cover charge. You don't get to act like a 19 year old when you have kids.

Lawfrog said...

@Kate: The sad thing is she couldn't afford me and I was only going to charge her $10 an hour! So, if I had the kids from 8 - 2:30, that was going to be 6.5 hours so $65. She wanted to know if she could pay half now and half a few days later.

It was all insane. When I told her my home is not child friendly (and it's not...at all) she actually said she would sign a waiver! Yeah, my WTF meter kept going higher and higher.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Yup - that's insane. I at least wanted to know someone who knew the sitter, but really vastly preferred wither the kids of friends or women form the kids' daycare. I'm glad they've aged out of that, though.

S.I.F. said...

That really freaks me out. And kind of makes me incredibly angry!

You should have agreed to sit for her, and then shipped her kids to me... That's legit, right?

Brittany said...

That is so scary!