BACKGROUND

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

GERMANY - The Flight


I boarded the non-stop flight to Germany on Saturday, October 13th. The plane took off at 4:40 p.m. and it was a little under 9 hours to Frankfurt from Houston. The flight wasn't bad. I had hoped to sleep on the plane, but my plans were thwarted when I got out my Sky Rest pillow, inflated it, and realized there were holes in it. Disappointment! I knew then that sleep was not going to happen. I was able to "rest" in that I closed my eyes for a few minutes here and there, but it wasn't real sleep of course.

In any case, the flight was fine. I watched the pilot episode of Sex and the City, which was available for free on the monitor behind each seat. They had other TV shows and movies for free as well. It was a nice selection and some of them were much newer than the SATC pilot episode. Surprisingly, the food wasn't bad on the flight. Dinner was chicken and rice with vegetables as well as a roll. Breakfast was fruit, a roll, omelet and potatoes. It wasn't enough food, but it wasn't bad in taste.

One interesting note about the flight - I had purchased some Mountain Dew in the airport as a treat for myself on the flight. I don't drink it often, but I love it. The German flight attendant saw the Mountain Dew and said "Oh, Go Go Juice. You know this reference? Honey Boo Boo. I just love that kid!" There are no words for the embarrassment my friends. NO. WORDS. Although the stewardess apparently likes the show, I am embarrassed that people from foreign countries are seeing things like this and that it is a representation in some way of America. UGH. Depression. Serious.

Moving on, I landed in Frankfurt in the morning around 9 a.m. It was easy to get through passport control and it went quickly. The airport was also easy to navigate. My boyfriend, Thomas, picked me up and we made our way home via train and bus and that was also easy. Germany has a great transportation system, which is awesome. I am staying in a small town called Frรคnkisch-Crumbach, which is not far from Frankfurt. It's a beautiful little town and I look forward to my adventures in Germany! 

6 comments:

Legally Lovely said...

I am so excited to read your adventures in Germany!! I hope you will be taking plenty of pictures. I've always dreamed of spending a stint of time abroad but just haven't got there. Enjoy it!

Jillian Leigh said...

You'd better Red-neckognize!! OMG, Honey Boo Boo Child & her family... no words. no words for those people. Glad you have a safe flight!

Secret Agent Woman said...

I hate that we're known internationally for Honey Boo Boo.

Hope you have a great trip!

Lawfrog said...

@Legally Lovely: As soon as you can take some time to go abroad, do it! I have long contended that living among another culture with different customs is one of the most worthwhile things a person can do. No book or class can teach you what you learn by being immersed in the actual environment! I plan to share some pics on my blog so check back for that and thanks for the well wishes, I am loving being here!

@Jillian and Secret Agent: OMG. The Honey Boo Boo thing. I wanted to cry. Just sit there in my seat and cry.

Karen Peterson said...

I remember flying in to Frankfurt when I traveled to France because it was cheaper to get to the town we were visiting. I was stuck in the middle seat of the middle row for EIGHT HOURS. Plus, the lady in front of me had a gigantic pillow, so I seriously felt like I was stuck in a box. I couldn't even see the movie screens because they weren't on the backs of the seats.

And that's not even the worst flight I've ever been on.

Thank, Q said...

Wow. Honey Boo Boo is international. LOL! That's horrible. I don't know what to say about that. I'm glad the food was enjoyable, at least. I look forward to my first international flight whenever that happens.