BACKGROUND

Friday, October 19, 2012

GERMANY - Week One!

Sunday: This was the day I arrived and it was a low-key day, which is what I needed. We took the train and bus home from the airport. It was a cloudy and cool day and we rested and had a great dinner of spaghetti. We watched some TV and then it was off to bed. A good first day especially with needing to adjust to the time change.

Monday: I did nothing at all. I had planned for this to be a "get settled in" day and that is exactly what it was. I ate and I rested. I played on the Internet. I arranged things in my suitcase for easier access. Just the little things you do when you're settling in somewhere.

Tuesday: My first day of venturing out to the town! I walked into town on a beautiful path (see picture) and took photos of things along the way. I stopped at the bank to get some Euros and I found the bakery so I can return and purchase some Berliners (doughnuts with jelly inside, so good!) and bread.

Wednesday: I planned to return to the bakery for the purchase of said Berliners and also to wander the town some more. This did not happen. Instead, I laid down for a "few minutes" at 9 a.m. and woke up at 3:00 p.m. Hmmmm...6 hours is a few minutes depending on your definition of "a few" right? Right. Yeah. Oh well, Wednesday evening was spent walking around the town with Thomas and having dinner at a wonderful restaurant. I had schnitzel and fried potatoes as well as one of the best salads I've ever eaten. Fanta was the drink of the evening. Yes, Germany has many good beers, but I do not drink alcohol at all and I limit my soda drinking generally so soda is a treat for me. Dessert was ice cream with whipped cream in a glass. YUM!

Thursday: I ventured into town leisurely strolling along with my iPod shuffle. I was nearly run over by a car backing out of a driveway and then once again by a car coming down the road so I thought perhaps the iPod was not a good idea since I wasn't paying attention with it on. I took it off and continued strolling through town. It's so beautiful here, the fall weather is gorgeous and the leaves on the trees have the orange and brown fall colors.

I stopped at the "discounter," which is basically like a small supermarket. I bought some Peanut M&Ms and Haribo Gummy Frogs. I couldn't believe they had the gummy frogs, those things are hard to find in the U.S. sometimes and they are my favorite gummy candy! After that, I ventured through town just looking at this and that and taking photos of various buildings. I then made my way to a bookstore where I purchased post cards. The bakery is right next door so I got two Berliners and a croissant.  The croissant was lunch for me today. I also ate some M&Ms. Vacation food for sure - a croissant and M&Ms for lunch (plus a few gummy frogs).

I made my way back home where a nap seemed to be the best plan since I had been up since around 5 a..m. and I never sleep well anyway. So I napped.

We decided on Döners for dinner. Delicious meat and sauce with lettuce and tomatoes. SO GOOD! A local restaurant here has them so we got them for take-out and ate at home. I spent the rest of the evening resting and playing with Moritz, the resident cat. Well, actually, I mostly slept and Moritz slept on me and I petted him occasionally. It was a restful evening after all the food I had eaten. The Döner was delicious, but there was so much of it! YUM!

Friday: I decided to try using the local bus system to go a couple of towns over to meet Thomas at work and have pizza. The bus system is much the same as in the U.S. and I didn't find the language barrier to be too much of a problem. They basically understand what you need. I took the bus to Thomas's work and then we had pizza. It was not bad at all! I had the standard pepperoni and cheese pizza and though it was just a bit spicier than I usually like it, it was good. The serving size is fairly large as well, I could not finish it. After that, we took the bus home and I slept for a couple of hours on the couch before heading to bed. That is becoming something of a habit for me because I am so tired by the time 7 or 8 p.m. rolls around. I have been up much earlier than I normally am here. I need to get on a more regular sleeping schedule, but that is true at home too. In any case, I look forward to the weekend!