BACKGROUND

Monday, December 24, 2012

Germany - Christmas Edition: First Weekend (Dec. 22 and Dec. 23)

Saturday
I was up really early this day. My sleep patterns are always off the first couple of days due to jet lag. Thomas, my wonderful boyfriend, got up with me about 4:30 a.m. and we had tea and toast before both of us fell asleep on the couch. He slept until about 9. I slept until 2 in the afternoon. I really needed it and felt a million times better for it!

I took a shower, which also helped me feel better, and got dressed. We headed into town and did some grocery shopping. I got some money out at the bank and then we went to our favorite döner eatery in town. It was delicious as always. We were the only customers in the place since we showed up right at 5 p.m. when they opened. So it was a leisurely, quiet dinner. We talked and ate and just enjoyed the atmosphere. 

Finally, we headed home in the rain. It had gotten colder as we were eating. Upon arriving home, we discovered a note from the airline saying that they had tried to deliver my luggage, but we were not home so they left it with the neighbor. I was SO thrilled that it had arrived because, in addition to containing my clothes and various needed items, it also contained the Christmas presents I had brought for Thomas. We went to the neighbor's house and rang the bell. It seemed he wasn't home. As we were getting ready to leave, the door opened upstairs and we retrieved my luggage. OH HAPPY DAY!!

I was so excited to change into my Christmas shirt and sweats with my comfortable socks. You just don't appreciate the little things until they are gone. I was also excited to give Thomas the Nutty Bars I had brought for him to try. He loved them and ate several. They are one of my favorite American treats so I was glad he liked them too. We had a quiet evening and went to bed early, around 9:30. 

Sunday
I was up at midnight. That sleeping until 2 p.m. thing was not helpful. I laid in bed for a few hours playing with my Kindle, reading various things and surfing Facebook. Finally, I got up around 4:30 a.m. and made some tea and toast. Around 6 a.m. Thomas was up and we talked for a bit before I laid down on the sofa to sleep. He woke me at 9:30 and we walked into town to the bakery where we got some bread.

We came home and I continued napping until around 2 when I got up and got ready to catch the bus for the Michelstadt Christmas Market! I was so excited to go to the Christmas Market!! Germany is famous for its Christmas markets and Michelstadt is such a beautiful city, I knew that it would be even better with the Christmas lights and booths.

I was not disappointed! We arrived at the market around 3:30 and it was crowded with people in the holiday spirit! There were tons of vendors with beautiful items and food. I bought a couple of items. We had hot chocolate at one of the booths and it was very good. They served it in Christmas-themed glass mugs. We wandered around the "handmade" area, which was the area where the crafts are completely handmade. We decided to get some food and had a wonderfully romantic dinner at Restaurante Kreta, the Greek restaurant. It was A LOT of food for a good price. Thomas had the Gyro and I had the schnitzel. So delicious.

After dinner, we wandered around the market, purchased some Christmas gifts, and took photos of the lights and booths. We stopped in an ice cream cafe in search of my very favorite ice cream, which I can only get in Germany - Spaghetti Eis. I am sure it can be found in the U.S. somewhere, but I know it can never be as good as it is in Germany. I first had it in 1993 when I spent six weeks in Germany and I have been hooked ever since. We found the spaghetti eis and I had a big plate of it followed by some hot chocolate. It was a perfect way to end our fun day.

Finally, we headed to the train station, which took us to Reinheim, where we had to catch our bus. Unfortunately, the next bus was two hours away so we called a taxi and took an expensive ride home. But it was worth it. We were tired from our great day at the Christmas market. We relaxed at home with some tea before heading to bed. A great day in Germany!

5 comments:

Karen Peterson said...

Adjusting to that time change can be tough.

But I'm glad you're having a wonderful time. Merry Christmas!

Lawfrog said...

@Karen, thank you so much! Merry Christmas to you as well!

Jillian Leigh said...

is facebook active over here in the states while you are on in the middle of the night in germany?

Legally Lovely said...

I'm glad you're having such a great time with Thomas! Glad you two are able to spend the holidays together. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!! Jealous of all your adventures and Christmas market-ing.

Lawfrog said...

@Jilly: Facebook is active when I'm on in the middle of the night because of the time difference. Houston is 7 hours behind me and the West Coast is 9 hours behind. So, when it's 2 a.m, here, for example, it's 7 p.m. in Houston and most of my friends are awake and online :)

@Legally Lovely: Thank you, the Christmas Market was wonderful, definitely a must-do when in Germany for the holidays! :)