BACKGROUND

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Germany - Christmas Edition: Wednesday - Friday (Dec. 26th, 27th, 28th)


Wednesday, Dec. 26th. 
Today, we had lunch and dinner with Thomas's aunt and uncle, cousin, and grandparents at his aunt and uncle's home. They were all very nice and even learned some English to help facilitate communication. I thought that was really sweet! We broke out the English/German translation book a couple of times and that helped as well. They are very good people and I was appreciative of their hospitality. They even sent a text before we came asking if I ate meat. I do, but if I didn't, they would have provided something else. They were just so accommodating and welcoming, I was very impressed and appreciative.

I was very tired when we came home so I relaxed with Thomas on the couch for awhile, played with Moritz the resident feline, and then it was off to bed.

Thursday, Dec. 27th
We started the day early by catching the bus at 8:15 a.m. and then two trains to Wiesbaden where we were met by the boyfriend of Thomas's mother. We were visiting with his mother this day. It was my first time to meet her. When I was here in October, she had been ill and then in the hospital so there was not an opportunity to meet her. She had been in the hospital for several weeks, but was released about two weeks ago so she is still weak, but feeling much better.

She is a very sweet woman and I enjoyed meeting her. Thomas looks a lot like her. We had lunch at a restaurant  that served various foods including Indian, Italian, and German. It was very good food and a lot of it. I had schnitzel and French fries. I had to take one of the two schnitzels home and I ate it on Friday. It was just that much food. As can be seen in the photo. Delicious!

We visited with Thomas's mother and boyfriend at their apartment and then were driven home by an employee of the boyfriend. It was nice not to have to take the train and bus home, it's a long haul that way. As it was, we were home by 4:15 so it was a long day, but a good one.

Friday, Dec. 28th
This was a day of doing nothing, but small errands. It was really nice to be at home for the majority of the day. We did a couple of errands, including shopping for food, and then came home to relax. I had tea and just rested on the couch. It was nice. We had a good dinner of salad, schnitzel and French fries. Thomas is an excellent cook! Dessert was some Spaghetti-Eis I got at the supermarket. It was good, but it didn't rival the stuff you get in the Eis Cafes. Nothing is ever as good as that.

No comments: