BACKGROUND

Sunday, December 9, 2012

More Tiny Tim, Less Scrooge

I can't believe it's already December! The holidays are coming and I am really looking forward to it this year. I have some fun plans in the works so that makes me happier than usual about the upcoming festivities. There have been some years in the past where the holidays have induced a "Bah Humbug" kind of feeling, so it's nice to be more Tiny Tim and less Scrooge this year!

It's been quite a year here in Houston for me. A year of some losses and a lot of gains. A year of some sorrows and a lot of joys. A year of holding on to what matters and letting go of what doesn't. A year of growth, of possibilities, of happiness. I have enjoyed this year with all its attendant ups and downs. Because really, there have been more ups than downs, more joy than sorrows, more love than pain. I truly look forward to what the rest of the month holds and to the holiday season.

And incidentally  I do refer to it as the HOLIDAY season and not Christmas because I have many people in my life from all cultures and backgrounds. Some celebrate Christmas, others Hanukkah, others nothing at all, and others something of their own making. I don't feel the need to shove the concept of CHRISTMAS ONLY down everyone's throat. I don't understand the people who think Merry Christmas is the only acceptable sentiment this time of year when there are so many people who do not celebrate it. And you know what? That's OK! They have a right to their holidays just as those of us who celebrate Christmas have a right to ours. 

I do say Merry Christmas to those that I know celebrate that holiday, I'm just saying that I don't assume everyone celebrates Christmas. Just a side note to my whole "Hey it's December" posting here.

I hope everyone has some wonderful plans for whatever holiday you may be celebrating and if you celebrate no holiday, enjoy the day anyway!


7 comments:

Emily said...

I really like your mindset. I'm in my last week of finals for the semester, and I am definitely channeling Ebeneezer (right down to the fingerless gloves)! Hope you're having an incredible start to the Holiday Season. oxo

Lawfrog said...

@Emily: When I was in law school, the holiday spirit was deader than a graveyard until finals were over and I could finally relax. I can't blame you for feeling more Scrooge than anything else right now. Hang in there!

Maria said...

It's a bittersweet holiday season for me this year with Bing leaving for India on the 29th.

But, joy sneaks up on me. That's how Christmas works.

Karen Peterson said...

I wish people wouldn't get so up in arms about this whole holiday vs. Christmas issue. I mean, why is it even an issue. I'm with you. Let's just be merry and let people celebrate what they will and wish whatever season greetings they wish and stop looking for reasons to be so offended.

Secret Agent Woman said...

To each her or his own. I celebrate Christmas in a non-religious way, but I am not offended by any form of well wishing, sacred or secular. I AM offended by the "say 'Merry Christmas' or you'll burn in hell" approach some people seem to take this time of year. Seems kind of not in the spirit, you know?

S.I.F. said...

I'm with you on the Christmas thing! I attended a sermon once where we were actually encouraged to stop anyone who says "Happy Holidays" and say instead "No, Merry Christmas" all forcefully and such.

I never went back to that church.

Lawfrog said...

@Maria - I can understand feeling bittersweet with your partner leaving so soon after the holiday, but I am glad you are finding some joy too!

@Karen - I don't know why people make such an issue out of it. So many forget that Christmas is not the only holiday this time of year and it's not the only way people celebrate God. Absolutely agreed that people need to stop looking for ways to be offended!

@Secret Agent - I'm with you, not offended by any kind of well-wishing, but the Christmas or burn in hell thing...yeah, that's unacceptable in my book.

@SIF - Glad you left that church, that is ridiculous!