BACKGROUND

Monday, February 4, 2013

Birthday Blues? NOPE!

Today is my birthday. I am 37. I have never been the type of woman to dislike birthdays because they signal growing older. I embrace birthdays and I love to celebrate them - mine or other people's. It's one day a year that is all yours. Your day, the day you came into the world. I like to think I get to celebrate on Feb. 3rd and 4th because I was born in Germany, which is 7 hours ahead of Houston. So my actual birthday begins at 9:30 p.m. on February 3rd since I was born at 4:30 a.m. in Germany. :-)

I had a good, low-key birthday this year and that was just what I needed. My wonderful, sweet boyfriend called me from Germany just after midnight (12:01). We had been talking online at the time so I was awake and he wanted to call me and be the first to wish me a happy birthday. He's adorable that way! He was sad he couldn't be here for my birthday because again, he's adorable that way! :-) My co-workers and I will go to lunch on Thursday for a late celebration (because we all get paid on Wednesday). Everyone I crossed paths with today who knew it was my birthday wished me a very happy day. My mother called me from Oregon and sang happy birthday to me over the phone, which she does every year and which I always look forward to.

I treated myself to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants where I ate a ton of food and then came home to sleep. Sounds boring I know, but it was perfect for me. I've been so exhausted with the dregs of that horrible cold that hung on forever and I've started some new prescription meds for a stomach issue that are taking a small toll on me so sleep is precious and I do it anytime I can.

This weekend, there will be a late celebration in San Antonio with my Dad. We're going to a play Friday night and then to see Toby Keith in concert at the San Antonio rodeo on Saturday evening. On Saturday morning, we're taking a tour of the Toyota plant. All of that will be fun and interesting. We always have a good time together.

So yeah...37 is good. I have been extraordinarily blessed in my life and I am so very grateful. I have many wonderful people who love me and show it every day. I feel good about where I am in life. Yeah...37 is good!


8 comments:

Thank, Q said...

Well, Happy 37th to you! I think that it's great that you embrace your age!

Kiran palwasha said...

Happy Birthday to you. i agree with you and i love celebrating my birthdays too. I never get tension of getting older. What matters to us ..should be :)aging gracefully and healthier..
Have a happy healthy and blessed year ahead. I am following your blog now coz i like it.

Stay blessed.
kiran from pakistan

Jillian Leigh said...

sounds like a great day to me!

Lawfrog said...

Thank you Q, Kiran, and Jillian!! It was a nice day made nicer by your comments :)

S.I.F. said...

Sounds like a perfect birthday lady! I hope 37 just keeps getting better!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Happy 37th to you!

Maria said...

Happy belated birthday. I had a rough 30's...but my 40's were pretty great. And 37 is a spring chicken....

knotty said...

Sorry I'm late to your birthday party! I hope you had a great one-- sounds like you did! I embrace birthdays, too, even though my last one was number 40!