BACKGROUND

Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday Musings

1. Sometimes I get mail for people who lived in my apartment before me and I wonder what their lives are like, where they are now and so on. 

2. There is something very comforting about the fact that my precious dog likes to sleep so close to me. Before lights out, she's usually on the bed with me, but when the light goes out, she snuggles as close as she can. It's very sweet and I feel so loved!

3. Today, I finally dumped five frozen dinners I had in the refrigerator. I don't like three of them and the other two have been in there forever. I feel bad when I do that because it's a waste of money, but at the same time I feel good because I'm letting it go and then I have room in there for the stuff I really will eat.

4. Frozen green grapes are awesome! I buy the grapes and freeze them overnight. Perfect snack for the hot days that are soon to come in Houston. Do not do this with the purple grapes though. They are not good frozen.

5. There is something very satisfying about getting small things done like finally sifting through all the paperwork that piles up on the nightstand or folding a load of laundry that has been sitting there for a couple of days.

6. Sometimes I miss the days when we didn't have Internet (or cell phones) and we were forced to go outside, ride bikes, go to the library to check out books (as opposed to downloading them) and so on. I love the Internet, don't get me wrong, but I do yearn for the days when you didn't spend half your time at a restaurant having to listen to someone on the cell phone. I also miss the days when you went to a party and actually interacted with people instead of seeing them on their phones "checking in" on Facebook. I think we've lost a lot with the advent of technology sometimes.

7. There's a real beauty in letting go of things and accepting them as they are. So many people get riled up and wonder why such and such a person won't do this or that or whatever. You know what? For better or for worse, they are who they are. If it bothers you, stop interacting with them and definitely stop expecting them to do whatever it is you want them to do. History shows it's not going to happen. Move on and make peace with it.

8. I totally stole this musings idea from Karen over at A Peek at Karen's World. Go read her blog. It's worth it!

6 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

I recently cleaned out my freezer (and the rest of the kitchen) and dumped a bunch of things. Sometimes it just needs to be done.

I love my smart phone and use it frequently, but I think people should NOT talk in places like restaurants on their phones. It's just rude.

Jillian DeMarco said...

I'm afraid to eat frozen green grapes. I'm afraid I'll choke.

I'm afraid to eat many things alone in case I choke. Hot dogs for one. I don't eat hard candy for that reason, too. Plus, I won't eat super chewy candy or caramel because I'm afraid I'll pull a filling.

Use that word "afraid" a lot. ... haha!!

Jillian DeMarco said...

Also, I miss the days before internet and facebook, too. Sometimes I feel chained to it. Other times it's very fun. I am always torn about facebook.

S.I.F. said...

I totally do the same thing with mail from the people who used to live here... it leaves me with all these questions!

knotty said...

A post full of wisdom... especially the last part and your tip about green grapes, which will come in handy when we move to San Antonio in time for August heat.

I hear you on the doggie snuggling...

janjanmom said...

I love decluttering anything and I am positive smart phones will be what is the source of our undoing. Yes, I have one and I love it/hate it.