BACKGROUND

Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday Musings

1. TMI warning. I drink tea every morning and I always have to pee 100 times when I drink tea. Sunday morning, I was drinking a lot of water because I was going to donate blood at noon. So at one point, I was peeing and drinking a glass of water at the same time. I wonder if my body was like "What the hell?"

2. Missy Franklin is an 18-year-old competitive swimmer. Last year, she won four gold medals and a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics. As a member of the U.S. National Team, she also holds the world record in the 4 x 100 meter medley relay. And she swam competitively for her high school team after winning the Olympic medals. Can you imagine getting off the bus for the meet against Franklin's school? "Hey, you'll be swimming today against literally the best swimmer in the world. You have no chance, but have fun out there!" So demoralizing. I tend to lean toward it being unfair that she's allowed to swim for a high school team, but would love to hear other viewpoints on this.

3. It's totally OK not to hijack someone's Facebook post. It's amazing to me how rude some people can be without even realizing it. In other words, it's not their intent to be jerks, but that is what they look like anyway. Example: A friend posts about the difficulty of being out of diapers for her kid. Someone comes along and posts about how spoiled she is because "in my day" we had to use cloth diapers and wash them out and blah, blah, blah..." 

Really? You can't just have some sympathy for someone? You have to talk about your own experience and how much harder it was? You have to call someone spoiled? How about you take the focus off yourself for five seconds and just have some sympathy for the person's plight. That's all that's required.

And also, just because you had it so rough doesn't mean everyone should suffer with that level of pain. We have modern conveniences now, it's OK to make use of them and it's OK to feel upset when they aren't there. Your suffering from 20 years ago doesn't mean my friend's issue is any less an inconvenience to her.

And that concludes Monday's Musings this week.


4 comments:

knotty said...

Very good post. I guess if Missy Franklin is still in high school and is still an amateur, there's no reason she shouldn't be allowed to swim. You never know. Another swimmer just might come along and beat her. I think if I were her, I'd wonder if I needed to be competing on a high school team, given what I had already accomplished at the Olympics.

I agree about people being rude on Facebook, too. Most of my friends don't do that... though I did recently get a snarky comment from someone because my husband and I ate at Fuddrucker's for dinner when we were in San Antonio and she said the Texas weight gain was about to begin. I thought that was an unnecessary comment. I think the Internet has, in many ways, made people a lot less civil. I have to admit, sometimes I'm less civil on the Internet, though I'm pretty outspoken in offline life, too.

I'm also with you on the peeing. I don't drink tea much, but I pee all the time. I think it's a girl thing. Good for you for donating blood. I am too chicken to do that myself, but I admire those who will.

Kate said...

Sometimes people just stink. I think that the internet gives people (myself at times) a place to be ruder than we'd be in person. How many times have I been harsher than I would have had the person been sitting next to me? Also, there's no horrified silence online like when you say something stupid in real life.

Isn't there always someone saying how you're a spoiled brat brat because their life was so much harder? Calling someone names isn't going to validate you and your experiences. You're welcome to think whatever you want, but what is the point of berating someone? Just roll your eyes and move on.

I'm irritated with the online world right now.

S.I.F. said...

Uggggg! The Facebook hijacks KILL me! Every time I see it, I want to call people out!

Maria said...

I don't do facebook, so have no idea
how to highjack it.

I think peeing is a very intricate process. I am a morning pee-er. I swear that I pee every ten minutes in the morning. Then...afternoon comes and I'm good...