BACKGROUND

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

After-Death Employment

I really hope evil spirits aren't real. It's bad enough we have to deal with jerks among the living, we shouldn't also have to contend with dead jerks. There's also something unsettling about thinking that earth is not the last stop on this Amtrak waiting to crash ride called life. I believe in God and heaven and I'm hoping heaven will be the last stop, but what I mean is that there's something unsettling about thinking that you might be trapped on earth forever in some state of ghostliness and have to either bother others (evil spirits) or help others (good spirits).

Now, the latter I could probably get with. I don't think that would be such a bad after-death job. I might be happy to come back here as a spirit guide and help others to better their lives. But even that doesn't hold a lot of appeal. Being on earth is exhausting what with the whole trying to get a job to survive, being laid off, getting another job, loved ones getting sick and dying thing, etc. I must admit I'm kind of getting tired of that whole merry-go-round. 

Now, this is not to say there are not good things here on the third rock from the sun because there totally are. There's true love, good food, friendship, dogs. All good. But I'm just saying that if, even in death, we are forced to stay here and either do jerk things (evil spirits) or good things (good spirits), I'm just a little peeved because I was really looking forward to the whole lounging in heaven deal.

And those are my random Tuesday thoughts. Thanks for joining me, stay tuned for more random randomness.

6 comments:

knotty said...

Life is full of worries. I already have that "lounging" gig and I worry all the time about the future. I haven't gotten around to worrying about after death "employment" yet.

Thank, Q said...

I'm with you. I'll feel much better up high and looking low that sitting here on the same ol' rock.

kj said...

Hello xo, I think you can rest easy. You'll more likely be dead than alive when you die :-)

Not to say that will be the end of your reincarnative journey. Honest to god, when my father died I dreamed her was born right away as a baby girl in India . The next day his obituary in the newspaper misprinted 'she' not he, and then my construction worker father had lipstick on at the wake. And then my daughter told me she too dreamed he was a woman.

Oh jeez!

Nice to be here
Love
kj

kj said...

See! See! I meant to say ' I dreamed he was born' but it's come out 'her'

I'm abit spooked :-)

Maria said...

I am pretty much agnostic. I have a sneaking suspicion that there really is such a thing as reincarnation.

Of course, I could be all wrong. That's the rub, yes?

Secret Agent Woman said...

One of the benefits of atheism is that I also don't have to spend a moment worrying about ghosts/spirits/afterlife issues.